Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Dark

Maria Bello, Sean Bean (2005) After the death of her daughter, a woman meets a mysterious girl who supposedly died in a mass suicide 50 years earlier.

I do likes me some Sean Bean. For a while there, the only movies I had in my DVD collection had Sean Bean in them. You might remember him as Boromir from Lord of the Rings, Spence from Ronin, and Cleric Errol Partridge from Equilibrium. Can you guess what my DVD collection consisted? He's also Alec Trevelyan from Goldeneye. But I didn't own that one at the time, so I didn't mention it in the previous sentence.

I haven't actually been paying too much attention, but I have come to one conclusion: Sean Bean is awesome.

And I've figured out why Maria Bello seems so familiar: She reminds me of an older Billie Piper.

Basically this is similar in plot to Pet Sematery, but in Wales. And more awesome due to the Sean Bean-ness. And then there's a little bit of trepanning to keep life interesting. And the process for returning the dead back to life is a bit more complicated, rather than just burying them and waiting till they show up and try to kill you. No word yet if the risen are quite as evil in this one. I imagine we'll discover that one in the very last scene, just before it cuts to black for the credits. Based on recent events near the end of the movie, it looks like the downside of the procedure is not that the risen comes back to life, but that a living person has to take their place in Anwynn or whatever, which seems to be the Welsh underworld. (Pronounced An-oon).

1 comment:

Su said...

Sorry I've been away so long. I love me some Sean Bean too, and I do own Goldeneye.