Sunday, December 6, 2009

War Wolves

John Saxon, Michael Worth (2009) A squad of U.S. soldiers searches for the carrier of a werewolf virus.

I think this was a Syfy Saturday movie at some point. Or maybe it was SciFi Saturday when it first aired. But I sort of remember watching the beginning of this, and never acutally finishing it for whatever reason. Probably because its terrible.

It looks like this was filmed at the same place as that other movie where I kept making the "The Sleeper Has Awoken" jokes. Sand Serpents or whatever. Same camo and gear and guns and stuff. Setting looks very similar. They've got a very strange mix of desert MARPAT, ACU, DCU, Woodland, and Khaki. Pretty much running the gamut of everything out there, except for Woodlamd MARPAT. And ABU. But ABU's so new, that it doesn't really surprise me that its not in this movie.

And HOLY CRAP! A Dell commercial just used some clips from Stargate SG1. Its the one with the british guy. You might recognize the blowing up of a planet and a few Goa'uld motherships from the episode "Exodus". The one where they blow up that star. I'm rather impressed and intrigued...

Is it bad that the one of the 2 comments I've had in the first 40 minutes of this movie is about the commercials, and not the movie itself? I'm currently leaning towards "probably".

Turns out I'm pretty sure that I actually watched the entirety of this movie the first time. And I paid about as much attention then as I am now.

But, since I didn't review it on the blog earlier, I didn't know this. So, now its on the record that I've watched this.

And there's a sign on the beach that reads "PIKUPAFTRURDG". Took me a minute to understand what it meant. But, I'm thinking that you could probably have just spelled it out properly with all the white space that was on the sign. But that would make too much sense.

And this main character is quite possibly the worst wood-splitter ever. He's not even putting any effort into it. And he's looking ridiculous while he's at it.

Some guy was ranting about anti-military stuff to a couple of ex-military characters. So, the ex-military guy punched the other guy. His partner asked about what had happened. Ex-military guy responded: "He was a little to the left, so I gave him a right". I laughed...

Perhaps I didn't watch the entire movie after all. That's the kind of comedy gold I would have felt compelled to report.

Also, you remember the Matrix? The movie with all the wire-fu? How it looked pretty cool? For 1999? Even though this movie is 10 years newer, it still can't pull it off without looking completely ridiculous. Perhaps because they actually made it look like punches and kicks were connecting in the Matrix. They really haven't gone for that sort of fight choreography in this one. They've gone for the whole "fake punch someone, and then cut to a shot of them reacting to the hit, even though the fist/foot that supposedly hit them wasn't even in the picture" school of fighting. Or what I like to call the "Crap School of Fight Choreography". For relatively obvious reasons.

1 comment:

Su said...

Craptastically amazing you mean! Amazingly awful!