Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Denny Crane

So, I was driving down the road, and saw a guy with a pickup truck, and one of those cover things for the bed. And on the back window of the cover thing, he had one of those big window-decal-things that you can see through. And it said "Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Denny Crane" on it, and said something about the 2008 presidential election. So, I was sort of intrigued, as I'd never heard that candidate's name before. And obviously this guy cared a lot about his particular candidate.

Then I stopped behind the truck at a stop-light, later. And upon closer inspection, there was a picture of this Denny Crane character in the middle of the decal. And he looked remarkably like William Shatner. So much so, that in order to remind myself later, in order to post here, I made the back-of-the-envelope calculation that "Denny Crane = Shatner". By which I mean, I wrote it on the back of an envelope I happened to have sitting on the passenger seat of my car.

Later, I decided to look up this guy. I started by looking in the most obvious place: at the article about 3rd party candidates in the 2008 presidential election on Wikipedia. By this time, I'd forgotten the last name, and had left the envelope in my car. So, I couldn't find any candidate named Denny. A little perplexed, I moved on to the Google search, which allowed me to figure out the candidate's last name.

So, I returned to Wikipedia. And discovered that Denny Crane was in fact Shatner. Or at least the character Shatner plays on Boston Legal, or some similar show. And then I became confused and intrigued as to why someone would proclaim their support for a fictional candidate on the back of their truck. And, mind you, this thing was a whole lot bigger than your standard "Republicans for Voldemort" or whatever bumper sticker.

And then I realized that I had no reason to be confused. He was, after all, supporting Shatner for President. And do you really need any other reason?

1 comment:

Su said...

I am impressed at the level of time and thought you put into this!