Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Spirit

Above shadowy, crime-infested streets a a masked avenger watches . Denny Colt (Gabriel Macht) was one of Central City's finest cops until a gangster's bullet ended his life. Now Fate has brought him back from the beyond as The Spirit, a street-hardened hero who faces off against seductive foes like the voluptuous Sand Saref (Eva Mendes) and the alluring Silken Floss (Scarlett Johansson). Then, of course there's his evil archenemy, the Octopus (Samuel L. Jackson), with a mission to wipe out Spirit's beloved city as he pursues his own version of immortality in this graphic action-thriller.

Apparently the descriptions on DVD cases are significantly longer than those on the DVR. So, I have actually gone out of my way to borrow this DVD from a friend, so I can watch it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret that choice. Mainly because everything I've ever heard about htis movie says its downright terrible. Including the person I've borrowed the DVD from. So... yay?

Anyways, onwards!

Also: Sweet crap. Its 10PM already... Wouldn't have figured that, had I not just looked at the clock... but hey, whatever... I'll just kind of have to deal with that fact...

Thus far, we have learned, that the director has done some sort of post-processing to make this look like a blend of cartoon and live action. Its sort of interesting. The red of The Spirit's tie really stands out in the generally black and white look of the rest of the movie. And I'm being sort of weirded out by the fact that his shoes are blindingly white.

Also, The Spirit seems to wear a fedora. So, I guess score one for him.

And Samuel L. Jackson has a thing for kicking The Spirit in the butt. And also has a ludicrously large hat.

And apparently he enjoys changing costumes. Ludicrous costumes.

Visually, a very interesting movie. In every other way, crap.

In other news, the Apache looks more menacing of an attack helicopter than the Cobra or Supercobra. The Cobra just looks sorts of skinny and weird.

Also, if you stay through the credits, you will be treated to drawings involving the words "sploot" and "spang". And potentially others, but I really wasn't paying attention...

1 comment:

Su said...

you know how i love credits