Sunday, May 10, 2009

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

So, after the rousing stupidity that was Star Trek V, I've decided to continue my Star Trek watching with the one I haven't watched on DVD yet. I've seen this one before (unlike V as of a few hours ago), but just haven't watched this particular DVD.

This one is always sort of memorable to me because I regularly saw bits and pieces of this movie before I finally saw the whole thing. It was always showing on the TVs at Myer Emco way back in the day when my dad was buying a new receiver and CD player for the home stereo. That and Terminator 2. So, I ended up seeing a good portion of it, while my dad shopped for that stuff. Naturally, since I was 10 years old or whatever, I wasn't particularly interested with the purchasing new electronic devices, so I ended up just watching whatever was on TV. Actually, I think they were showing Star Trek V one time, but that time I was only there for a short time.

Oh, and by the way, the Excelsior class starship is kind of hilariously elongated.

Probably my most favoritest part of the movie that I'd completely forgotten about is in the last scene. Captain Kirk tackles the Federation President to save him from getting sniperized by the man who will be Odo. In mid-dive, he informs the President that he is Captain James Kirk of the Enterprise. Seems kind of a ridiculous time to be dropping your name.

1 comment:

Su said...

It is NEVER ridiculous for Kirk to drop his name.