Monday, December 22, 2008

The Monkey King

Thomas Gibson, Bai Ling (2001) A businessman, a powerful monkey-like being and his weird sidekicks battle an army of demons for a Chinese manuscript.

How can you argue with a "powerful monkey-like being". Which would be why I recorded it. Unfortunately, its 4 hours long. So, I've started to watch it to see if I want to watch it, or delete it from the DVR.

Apparently this dude is the savior of mankind. Or China. Or something. Apparently something's happening about the world going back in time or something. I guess something involving a Chinese manuscript or something... Actually, it'd be sweet if the tagline for the movie lied to the viewer.

And apparently those famous Chinese terra cotta soldiers came to life for some reason. I'm really not sure why. But they look rather hilarious, as they're actors with really thickly caked makeup.

You know what DVRs need? The ability to delete up to a certain point on a recording. I'm probably not going to get through the entire 4 hours tonight, and its gonna be a bitch to fast forward to find where I was when I come back to it later.

And now its approximatly 20 hours later. And I have to pee.

This movie seems to be something about Buddhism. And Confucianism. And China...

And apparently its a mini-series. Either that or it ends sorta randomly, and they're playing it twice in a row...

Confucius seems to be quite the cockbag.

So, all I've managed to glean from not quite watching this movie is that Chinese mythology is weird.... and doesn't make a lot of sense if you're not paying attention and haven't been exposed to it very much previously...

1 comment:

Su said...

So make Kat watch this and throw popcorn at her?

You should watch Bubba Hotep.