Monday, July 6, 2009

Mutant Chronicles

Thomas Jane, Ron Perlman (2008) In the 28th century a soldier and a priest lead a platoon deep underground to destroy a machine that is churning out hundreds of blood mutans.

Sci-Fi Saturday movie efrom 6/27.

Oh man. Ron Perlman doing to opening monologue. If you've ever played the Fallout series, you'll know I was immediately intrigued when I heard his voice... Especially, because he's talking about a post-apocalyptic future. I hope this movie doesn't ruin this opening. But its got the Punisher and Ron Perlman/Hellboy/whatever in it. Well, its actually the previous version of the Punisher.

On that note, did anyone actually see the new Punisher movie? Any good? I'll probably have to get around to seeing it at some point... Seems like the sort of movie that'd be good to watch, assuming that you're not actually looking for plot, and istead just a lot of shooting and stuff.

OK, in addition to having Ron Perlman, this movie seems to have a sort of futuristic look at World War I. Trench warfare, gigantic artillery pieces, funny helmets... The works. I rather like the aesthetic as a whole, but I'm not a fan of the individual rifles and pistols. They're sorta... lumpy, maybe? Got all sorts of extra bits on them. Not as clean and sleek as the weapons of the WWI period. I guess they tried to go that way trying to make it futuristic.

It seems Thomas Jane is the "soldier" from the description. Sort of jaded, angry, sort of soldier.

Seems the side we're supposed to root for is the Western European/American faction. They're fighting the Eastern European/North African/Asian faction.

Aww... and the Sergeant/Corporal/whatever with the awesome accent just got shotgunned. Looks like he's no longer gonna be with us... that's a darn shame...

And now both factions are apparently getting slaughtered by mutants. Makes sense, due to the name of the movie and all.

Hopefully it stops raining at some point. It'd be nice to see exactly what's going on, and to be able to tell who's who.

And now we've been introduced to Mr. Perlman playing his role as the "priest" from the description.

Hmmm... Apparently John Malkovich has a cameo in this movie. Quite the star-studded cast...

Also, muzzle-flash strobe effect as the only illumination for a scene. Kinda cool, but still not as good as Equilibrium. They did it first. And better.

I'm honestly quite surprised by the quality of this movie. Its not high cinema or whatever, but its actually not crap. And with that, I've got to go to the store to buy some food. We'll see if I post this when I get back, or get back to watching... You'll know shortly. As in, within the next line. Or actually 2 lines, because I put 2 spaces between paragraphs.

Have I mentioned that Ron Perlman's character has some sort of Irish or Scottish accent. Its kinda strange... Although it is also sort of intermittent.

But now its time for a pause... I'll watch the end later.

3 comments:

Su said...

This doens't have a name!!!

Dan said...

I have no idea what you're talking about

Su said...

Thank you.