Friday, February 27, 2009

The Hawaiians

Its a Charleton Heston movie that was based on a section Michener's book "Hawaii".

Some of you might know that I read that book on my trip to Hawaii last November. So, I was interested to see how they adapted it to film.

Its the section of the book that talks about Whip Hoxworth bringing pineapples to Hawaii, and the story of the Chinese woman known as Wu Chow's Auntie.

Sadly, I think that if I hadn't read the book, I would have had no idea what was going on.

They didn't really explain much of the backstory. For example, they didn't really give the backstory of the Hakka and Punti people (different factions of Chinese people). And then they introduced the Japanese as immigrants, seemingly just so that they could introduce Hasegawa. Who didn't play much of a role, other than to introduce some Japanese love interest for Hoxworth/Heston. Who then was just in the film long enough to give Hoxworth a place to be when he got arrested for inciting the revolt that got Queen Lilililililiooioadkfjasldkf;askdjfajsdkoualani or whatever out of office. Which served only to introduce Micah Hale.

Basically, it was a random collection of scenes that served to introduce the next random scene.

It was an interesting movie, solely because I'd already read the book. So, if you haven't read the book, I wouldn't bother watching this. Then again, if you have read the book, you don't really need to watch it, as you've already read the book.

1 comment:

Su said...

You're really low on your February count.