Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Rage of the Yeti

'11. A legendary creature wreaks havoc. Starring: David Chokachi.

I'm slightly impressed that the description doesn't include the true star of this movie. Dr. Meredith Rodney McKay. Or, he is more commonly known (by people who aren't nearly as obsessed with the Stargate Franchise as I am) as David Hewlett.

Also, it has Robin Hood from that new(ish) British Robin Hood show.

And I actually have no idea who David Chokachi is. After looking him up on Wikipedia, he seems to have been in a whole bunch of stuff I've never heard of. And Baywatch. So, I guess that's why he gets mentioned, while our intrepid SciFi hero doesn't.

Although, aside from McKay as the ridiculous gazillionaire bankrolling this ridiculous expedition, David Chokachi and his partner are the best part of this movie. A pair of sort of happy-go-lucky, carefree, wisecracking sort of people with ridiculous guns. Also, in other news, I am unsure if they originally used actual curse words or not, but the edit of the movie I'm currently watching has swapped in "Frak" and "Frell". Which amuses the Farscape and Battlestar Galactica fan in me. Sadly no "Felgercarb". But that was more of the orignianl BSG than the later, more recent one.

Also, in other news, this was directed by McKay. I think.

And Robin Hood just pulled the ring off his dead wife's finger. And then put it on himself. And it was supremely loose in a closeup shot. I wonder how often that occurs. The wife having thicker fingers than the husband... I suppose that's the sort of thing no one actually cares about, and thus we will never figure out.

Oh, and there's Yetis. Or Yerrun. Or something. Some sort of backstory. A ship, and some Chinese gave these ship guys a pile of Yetis for some apparent reason. And then the ship got stuck in the arctic. And now McKay wants some sort of book that was on the ship along with the Yeti.

There. Now you're caught up to speed.

Oh, wait. There's a guy named Enzo, who is apparently trying to get the book thing for himself. Who is causing random defections on McKay's team. I wonder if Enzo is or has a Ferrari.

That could really make this movie quite memorable. Some sort of wacky Bad Sci Fi crossover with Cars. Currently lacking any signs of Larry the Cable Guy, though. And you can't have the Cars franchise without him.

Also, tip for life, if a Yeti gets anywhere near any sort of aircraft that you are on or nearby, run for your life. Yetis have incomprehensibly taken out a Blackhawk helicopter and a C130 cargo plane.

Also, this movie's definition of "ice axe" seems to coincide squarely with my definition of "hatchet". Regular hatchet.

But they haven't really discussed the whole "baby yeti" issue that they covered earlier. My guess is, it'll be the final shot of the movie.

Also, why does McKay's submarine have windows?

1 comment:

Su said...

If we are referring to the actual ring finger, I think that in cases of normal genetics marrying normal genetics it has to be pretty rare, but if we are talking about interbreeding between races, such as Legolas and Gimmley's marriage (yes, I am making Gimmley the woman and misspelling his name all at the same time) then not that uncommon. You could also legitimately discuss dwarfism I think, or giantism. And then we have a whole nother can of worms to contend with. So I am going to stick with gay marriage between elves and dwarves because I can.