Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Post Where I Make A Comparison Between Underpants and Pokemon

So, I was at the store the other day buying myself some new underpants. And in the interest of being the most fiscally responsible consumer I could be, I discovered that there were multi-packs of underpants for cheaper than buying them individually. So that seemed to definitely be the way to go.

Once I had decided on a multi-pack, it was time to choose the appropriate colors. And it was at this point I discovered something that I found interesting.

The packs had names. In the end I ended up with the "Modern Prints" and the "Blue Plaids". Not only did they have names, but all the packs of the same name seemed to have the exact same color/style/pattern of underpants.

And this is where the Pokemon comes in. It would appear that your standard American Underpants Consumer (or at least those who frequent the same underpants establishments that I do) is not interested in collecting the entire set of colors. (Gotta catch 'em all) Because, if they were, I think the underpants companies would do there packaging quite differently.

If I were an underpants manufacturer/packager, and the average underpants consumer was attempting to collect the entire set of colors and patterns, I would not have standard packs of underpants that always are in the same package. That way it would be more complicated, and I would likely sell more underpants, as people would have to purchase underpants patterns that they already had in order to get particular patterns.

Also, I'd probably add in a rarity type scheme similar to what is found in collectible/trading cards. Particular underpants patterns would be quite rare, while others would be very common (so they'd be in most of the packs). I would also ensure that the rarest ones were only available in the most expensive packs, and were only paired with extremely common other ones.

So, aside from this sentence (foreshadowing!), and a brief quote, I haven't actually mentioned Pokemon at all in this post. I guess a more accurate title would have been "Underpants Economics". Anyways,I guess it was more of an implicit comparison, rather than an explicit one. So, for my clever readers, you'll have already made the connection before getting to this paragraph. For my denser readers, I think you should be able to figure it out at this point. But that's as explicit as I'm gonna get. Not gonna spell it out for you any more than that. If you still don't have it, you should probably stop eating the paste.

3 comments:

Su said...

I have never seen or played Pokemon and I still got the reference.

Trevor said...

Most people have never played, but still make the connection. If you can't, you probably live under a rock. Or boulder.

The AUC would have to buy from a particular series of underpants. Once lines or series are established you can start the collection. There may also need to be a level of interactivity to facilitate collection, use, and trade of the underpants.

I'm not sure I like the last line item...

Su said...

I enjoy the paste.