Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Remember That Night - Some More

Finally getting around to finishing this...

And it reminds me of what I didn't like about Guitar Hero. This concert has David Bowie as a guest vocalist for two songs in the encore, including Comfortably Numb. And when I hear that song, it only really sounds right if being sung by Roger Waters or David Gilmour. So, having David Bowie sing it, no matter how good a singer he might be, is always jarring.

And the reason I tie this to Guitar Hero is because 90% of the tracks are covers of the original, so when you're playing along, you expect to hear the music and vocals a certain way, and then it just sounds weird.

Not that I'm against cover songs. For example, Judas Priest does a really good "cover" of Joan Baez's Diamonds and Rust. But they don't just try to faithfully replicate the song exactly. Instead they basically make the song their own, putting their own spin on it.

Also: Yeah, dancing bald dude!

And watching a lot of David Gilmour concerts lately has made me begin to question my thoughts... Previously, I was of the impression that if I ever learned to play the guitar, I would want a cream/white-ish colored Strat, a la Dave Murray, from Iron Maiden. However, the David Gilmour-esque black Strat is gaining favor...

5 comments:

Su said...

You're going to start playing guitar now>?

Dan said...

No. Probably not.

But if I ever did.

Trevor said...

But what about the radical, soaring solos of Dave Mustaine that you get to play??

Dan said...

Because I totally can do that...

Su said...

Because he would ever devote himself to something so complicated with limited results prior to years of practice unless he has untapped natural talent (please read my skepticism here).