Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Stargate Universe Premier

Good first scene. They did a rather good job of keeping things confusing, so you, like the characters, didn't really know what was going on. Although, a very interesting choice for the premier. Rather than having a bunch of scenes establishing who everyone is, you just kind of jump right in, and figure it out through flashbacks.

My only problem with the episode is the random sex scene at the beginning. I've always seen Stargate as a rather family-friendly show, for lack of a better term. The sex scene between Whatsisname and Whosherface served little to no purpose, and just seem to be a very juvenile way of basically saying "Hey look! We can talk about adult themes! We're edgy!" We'll see how the season progresses.

I'll keep you updated on the latest branch of the Stargate franchise, and if it lives up to its older siblings. Hard to judge that from just the first episode, though.

Visually, a fantastic episode. The Goa'uld motherships and the battle over Icarus Base were quite good Computer Graphics. Not as magestic, and awe-inspiring (for lack of a better term) than the scene from Stargate Atlantis' premier when Atlantis surfaced. Actually, the CG was probably a bit better in this one, but it was used on Motherships and Gliders, which we've all seen before. Basically, what I'm saying is that I think I liked Stargate Atlantis' Rising better as a premier. But so far, we've only seen the first 2/3rds of the premier episode of Universe, so perhaps they'll wow me with the last hour.

(Interesting similarities between Universe and Atlantis. I find it interesting that they got to their first planet in Atlantis within the first hour, but in Universe, at the end of the 2nd hour, they've just stepped through the gate)

So, this episode didn't turn me off of the series, so I'll keep watching, and keep you updated. I'm hopeful that I like the series as much as I enjoy the rest of the franchise.

1 comment:

Su said...

Maybe you will... maybe you won't.