Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Omen (the 2006 remake)

A remake of the original. I remember it was released on June 6th 2006. Trying to use the whole 6/6/06-ness of the date, as it is about the Anti-Christ.

David Thewlis has a fantastic accent, by the way. I originally remember him from the Dinotopia miniseries, and he's been here and there. Apparently he was Lupin in the Harry Potter movies. I don't remember if he had his awesome accent in those movies...

Also stars the villain from Hannibal, as some priest who got burned in a big fire. And of course, I use the term "stars" very loosely.

Thus far it seems to be a rather faithful (almost shot-for-shot) remake of the original. So, basically, since I've already seen the original, there's no real reason for me to be watching this. Except for maybe David Thewlis' accent. Because it is awesome. But I already know he's going to die. I guess I'll have to find some other reason to keep watching. Thus far its been pretty much the same. The original had a scene when Bugenhagen finds the daggers to start the movie, which this version lacks. But other than that, its been pretty much the same progression of scenes. Not necessarily exactly the same shots, but the same gist...

Sadly I can't root for the only character that I know survives, as the kid who plays Damien is really creepy. But I guess that's his role, and he seems to be doing a quite decent job at it...

I'm not a big fan of remakes... Either they're exactly the same as the orignal, and thus not worth watching, or they're completely different. For example, the remake of Psycho was basically a copy of Hitchcock's original. And it had Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates. I'm not a terrifically big fan of his... And then there's the remakes that are made of good movies. That usually end up sucking...

And then there's The Day The Earth Stood Still. I sort of want to see it, just to see what they've done with it. But if you've seen the original, you'll know that basically nothing from the trailer actually happened in the original. I think its sort of a morbid curiosity... I have no idea where they got all that stuff... It definitely wasn't in the orignial material.

Although, I do like the new Dawn of the Dead. I've never seen the original, so that may be part of it. Although, I am a sucker for Zombie movies.

And Thewlis just got decapitated. Luckily the movies almost done. This may be the final act, or it may have one commercial break left. Either way, I might as well stick with it.

Basically, if you're looking to see The Omen, you can either watch the original, or the remake. They're pretty much the same. I guess its just a matter of if you like Liev Schrieber or Gregory Peck better. Actually never mind. Watch the remake. The original doesn't have David Thewlis and his fantastic accent.

And the scenes near the end showing the demise of the dog and the housekeeper are pretty fantastic. Don't remember if the original scenes were quite as fantastic.

1 comment:

Su said...

So, was that a positive for the movie?