Friday, April 5, 2013

CNN/Bleacher Report

I have been using CNN as my primary news website for a while now. Granted it has its flaws and generally puts a left leaning slant on everything, but at least it could be relied on to give a basic overview of the news and what was going on in the world. It was affiliated with Sports Illustrated's website for sports coverage.  All was well and good.

Then, recently, they decided to change everything for the worse. For starters, the CNN main page became home to about 70% opinion columns and very little news. That was slightly annoying.

Then they decided to end their association with Sports Illustrated and use Bleacher Report as their sports page. Which is just unmitigated disaster.

I don't know what you look for in a sports page, bit I'm a fan of being able to find schedules, scores, and results from multiple sports all collected on one easy to navigate page. SI had that. A banner at the top that told you the scores of yesterday's games and told you the schedule of tonight's games.

I have yet to figure out how to find any sort of results information on Bleacher Report. Similarly to CNN, it seems the site is overrun with opinion columns but has relatively few facts.

I don't care what random people think about the Caps' moves at the Trade Deadline. I just want to know if they won the game last night. And when they are playing next. (Well, sorta bad example since I actually caught the tail end of the game last night. But actually that is a good example. Because the only reason I knew it was on was because the TV announcers mentioned it during the broadcast of the last Caps game, not because I was able to find any mention of it on Bleacher Report)

Looks like I'm in the market for a new go to news and sports site.

What good is a damn sports site which doesn't tell you the scores?

Also, I just remembered. They have a NASCAR section. Which is all well and good and all, but it doesn't cover any other sorts of motorsport. Instead of that, they have a WWE section. I really need to find a site that suits my needs and desires.

3 comments:

Rob said...

I use the BBC page for basic news but then again I don't read the sports stuff.

Su said...

I use Facebook for my news and nhl.com for my sports. Facebook people are going to complain about the news so that I don't actually have to read and search for articles on my own, I can just let them provide me with the articles they find important and have my opinions prefiltered for me. And did I mention nhl.com?

Su said...

espn.com seems to have some of what you want, but not additional motor sports.