Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Stargate Universe

I will admit that when I heard that the ending of the series would be a cliffhanger, I was certain that my final impressions of the series would be anger and disappointment. Especially because they were supposed to make a Stargate: Atlantis movie following the finale, but that hasn't materialized, and likely won't. So, the chances of resolving the cliffhanger are pretty damned low.

SG1 ended the only way it could have in Unending, with the team on one very long mission aboard the Odyssey, and then stepping through the gate on a mission.

Atlantis ended well in Enemy at the Gate, with the ending shot of the main cast on the balcony, overlooking the San Francisco Bay. Although, that episode did feel rather rushed. Would have been better as a 2-hour finale, but it worked.

And, as much as I was expecting to hate it, I have to say, that it was a very good finale. Rather powerful. Ended up with good closure for characters that I had developed some emotional attachment to. Which actually surprised me.

When the last few episodes started airing, I was fully prepared to just watch the remaining episodes out of a sense of loyalty to the Stargate franchise, as it had provided 15 seasons and 3 movies of quality entertainment in the past. But, even though, in my opinion, the first half of the second season was relatively weak, they stepped it back up in the second half of the season, and finished strongly.

Good on them. Hopefully there is a future for the Stargate franchise, but if there isn't, I am prepared to say that the franchise ended well.

Each series had its weak points. The Lucius Lavin storyline on Atlantis, for example. However, all in all, they were all good series.

So, thank you Brad Wright, Jonathan Glassner, Robert C. Cooper, Joseph Mallozzi, and Paul Mullie for running these 3 series.

5 comments:

Su said...

Well indeed. I kinda need to watch them all in order.

Dan said...

You kinda need to overlap SG1 and Atlantis a bit. The pilot for Atlantis (Rising) takes place after the two first episodes of SG1's 8th season.

And they're a little intertwined after that. Some of the cliffhangers in Atlantis aren't quite effective if you've seen the following season of SG1.

Trevor said...

Geez, don't say that Dan. I don't need a whole other series to have to get into.

Dan said...

You really do, though.

Although, if you're really hard pressed, I'd go for SG1, then Atlantis. And then if you still have free time, I'd go for Universe.

But that's a good 315 or so episodes even before you get to Universe, so it'll take you a bit.

Su said...

So, about 6 days?