Saturday, March 27, 2010

Into Thin Air: Death on Everest

Peter Horton, Nathaniel Parker (1997) Climbers scale Mount Everest in 1996, but a blizzard kills several in the expedition.

This is the most aggravating movie I have seen in quite some time.

Basically, it seems to follow the Jon Krakauer character. And spends just about the entire movie mentioning how incredibly awesome he is. And with the implication that if everyone had just listened to him, nothing would have gone wrong.

I've done a lot of reading (everything I can find) about the 1996 Everest disaster, and from what I can tell, this is quite possibly the most inaccurate thing I've seen in quite some time. Frankly, I'm not even sure that I'm going to finish this. I may just have to, to see how it is overall.

And everyone in this movie is really over-acting. Making it another painful aspect of this movie.

Oh, and did the movie mention how awesome Jon Krakauer is? Only about 6000 times in the time it took me to write the last few paragraphs.

And by Krakauer's own admission, he collapsed in his tent upon returning for the summit and had no energy to help anyone else. Yet, in this movie, he seems to be spearheading rescue efforts.

Also, they seem to be having a fair few scenes of characters who disappeared, and no survivors actually know what happened to them.

You know what isn't a fitting tribute to the fuck-ton of people who died in 1996 on Everest?

This. In fact, I've been spending the past 20-30 minutes of sitting here watching this, wondering if I should refer to this movie as downright offensive.

1 comment:

Su said...

I vote yes on offensive.