Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Super Eruption

'11. A volcanic eruption devastates Yellowstone National Park. Starring: Richard Burgi, Juliet Aubrey.

Syfy Saturday movie from this past Saturday.

So, uh, yeah. That happened. This is one of those reviews that would be significantly more comprehensive if I'd actually paid attention.

You know what makes a crappy volcano movie even more incomprehensible? Add some variety of time travel type sub-plot. Something about the lead character sending messages to herself in the past to tell her how to avoid something or another. Potentially the eruption. But if that's it, then both Past Scientist Lady and Future Scientist Lady are getting it pretty wrong. Because there's a bunch of lava all about.

And any discussion of lava or magma always reminds me of that Eureka episode where Stark and Carter argue about the difference between magma and lava. Which follows up with a reminder that they really need to bring Stark back. Because he's an awesome character.

So much so, that I think that when I finish "re-watching" Doctor Who while doing other things, I'll start in on Eureka. Wonder if it is on Netflix on-demand or whatever. Because then I won't have to deal with swapping DVDs. Which would be cool.

Oh, and in case I didn't mention it earlier (which I am sure that I didn't), Eureka's back. As is Warehouse 13.

Unfortunately, based on the first episode, the new Syfy series, Alphas, isn't that great. I'll give it another episode or two before I pass final judgement. But I'm relatively sure that I already know what that judgement is gonna be.

This movie has slightly redeemed itself in the last few minutes.

First off, the female character (Past Scientist Lady) attempts to get help by calling Mayday over the radio. At which point the male character chides her on the fact that they're not on a ship. At which point she starts calling SOS.

And the last lines of the movie see Past Scientist Lady covering the whole magma/lava debate. Not as good as the interchange between Carter and Stark, but among the best parts of the movie.

1 comment:

Su said...

Burning hot ma-g-ma.