Friday, July 6, 2007

The Shield

Well, now i finally have something i feel motivated to talk about...

Its TV related, and its not Stargate (surprise surprise)... Can you guess what it is?

If you can't you should possibly get your eyes checked, since its the title of this post...

Anyways, thanks to my brother, I just finished watching seasons 3 and 4 of the FX cop TV show The Shield. (I saw seasons 1 and 2 a long time ago, so i won't be talking about them)

Anyways, its a show about a group of cops in the fictional Los Angeles district of Farmington.

Anyways, I'm sure that you can read synopses and stuff about the show on the internet, so I won't rehash the plot or talk about any of the characters...

Anyways, what sort of intrigued me about the show is the visual style. Instead of very clean and refined camera work, such as one might see in shows as Stargate SG1 (see, I had to reference it...) The Shield is mainly filmed on handheld cameras, providing very jerky action and stuff... While that seems like it might be annoying, it actually works well for the show... actually the problems i have are when the style changes... most of the time, the film has very jerky motions as a result of the handheld style, and it seems very grainy and gritty and dark... however, at certain times, the picture becomes rather bright and clear... (look at the scene where Vic goes and visits Shane and Mara and their kid for the first time for what i'm talking about). Certain moments just sort of stand out in that respect...

another thing i like about the show is the framing... note that i have absolutely no film background, so all my terminology is either made up by me, or what i learned from listening to the directors commentaries on my SG1 DVDs (and there we go again)... What I mean by this, is most shows have the actors face perfectly framed in the field of view during close ups... however, in the shield this is not always so... for example, one scene i was watching had only half of the actors face in the frame, and that went in and out of focus during the closeup...

Generally not your standard TV show, in terms of plot and execution, but well worth a watch...

Now I just need to convince my brother to get the next season on DVD, so I can nab it and watch it...

Oh, and by the way, there is an actor named Walton Goggins... how cool is that?

1 comment:

Su said...

Oh my goodnes! Not one but two, and a third below it. i was remiss. I am le sad. Please... feel free to eject me as the favorite reader, but take not my boobs away. They treasure their spot in your heart.